What is Tinder?
Tinder is currently the most used dating app in the world averaging roughly 10 million daily active users. Why is Tinder so popular? The basis behind Tinder is to make approaching potential matches easier. You likely feel more comfortable meeting up with a potential match if you know that they are interested in you as well.
When you sign up to Tinder, your name, pictures, and short bio is shown to prospective matches around your particular location. Likewise, you are shown potential matches in your proximity who are also on Tinder that could be potential matches.
You can show your interest or disinterest in a particular match by liking their profile or expresses disinterest in a particular match. This is where the expression “swiping right” (like) and “swipe left” (dislike) comes from.
You are only given a limited number of Tinder swipes everyday.
Why Tinder wants you to link your Facebook Account
So one has to ask: why does Tinder want access to your Facebook account?
There’s a few reasons behind Tinder wanting to access your Facebook account:
If you use your Facebook login to access Tinder, then Tinder will be able to generate your user profile with the data that is already in Facebook. Tinder is able to pull your photos on Facebook, your age, where you are geographically located, access to your mutual Facebook friends, and common interests that they utilize to “match” you based on their social graph.
One useful aspect of having Tinder linked to a Facebook account is that having all that data on you, Tinder is able to match you with potential matches with better accuracy.
While Tinder says they would never share your private information or activity on while on Tinder with Facebook, however, they feel it’s perfectly fine to sell this data to third-parties and vendors they work with. Tinder could potentially be selling your sexual preference, desired age in a mate, previous conversation’s you’ve had with Tinder’s chat app, among other data to advertisers and third-parties.
Another reason Tinder would want access to your Facebook account is to limit the amount of scammers and catfishing on their platform. While this is respectable, there’s no way Tinder is able to control scammers, and they haven’t done a good enough job of preventing this. Scammers are in all walks of life. People need to take privacy into their own hands.
How to Maintain Online Privacy while on Tinder Without Facebook
With Tinder use on the rise, many people are wondering how one can use Tinder anonymously and asking how one can use Tinder without Facebook or their own phone number.
As of July 2019, there are two ways to sign up to Tinder:
- You can sign up to Tinder with a Facebook account. So whenever you log into Tinder, you will use your Facebook login. Essentially you are giving Tinder access to your Facebook account and linking your Tinder account with Facebook. Scary!
- You can also sign up to Tinder using your mobile phone number. If you go with this method, Tinder won’t be linked to Facebook, however it will be linked to your own mobile phone number.
Did you know that if you have an existing Tinder account linked to Facebook, and decide to delete your Facebook account, you will lose access to your existing Tinder account. Say goodbye to your Tinder matches, and all your conversations.
Regardless of which method you choose to sign up to Tinder with, no one wants their friends, family, coworkers, colleagues, and extended Facebook friends to know you are using Tinder.
Even if you’ve tweaked all the privacy settings on Tinder, why even take the chance? Here is our guide on how to maximize your privacy settings if you are a privacy minded individual.
1. Easiest Way to Keep Everything Private from Tinder and Facebook
The easiest way to keep all your data private is simply to NOT use Tinder and NOT use Facebook! However, that’s likely not a realistic option for the general public.
2. Maximize and Tweak your Privacy Settings on Facebook
The second easiest way to maximize your privacy settings if your Facebook account is connected to Tinder, is to increase the privacy level on your Facebook account.
Make sure you do this to limit the flood of Facebook friend requests after signing up for Tinder with your Facebook account.
By doing this, you can limit the amount of data that other Tinder users can obtain about you. While it is always a good idea to follow these tips, just remember: It doesn’t take a detective to find someone on Facebook if they know your name, what you look like, and where you are from.
To increase the privacy level on your Facebook-connected-Tinder account:
- Log into your Facebook account
- Click Settings > Then Click on “Apps”
- Locate your Tinder app to change the privacy settings
- Change the visibility from public to private (ONLY ME).
3. Turn off Location Tracking in Tinder
Unfortunately you are REQUIRED to enable location tracking to use Tinder. This means that Tinder always knows where you are, and most importantly, this also means other Tinder users know you are nearby too.
4. Create a Facebook account specifically for Tinder
Please make sure you don’t violate the terms of service for any website or service that you use. This is strictly for educational purposes only.
Please note that Facebook does not allow you to create multiple Facebook accounts. You as an individual are only allowed to have one facebook account, otherwise you violate their terms of service. Might want to tell that to the celebrities using burner accounts, but these are Facebook’s terms of servicem and you should follow them accordingly.
What others have done is essentially create a Facebook account specifically for Tinder. This is the only way to ensure that friends and family you know won’t 100% know you are on Tinder. See, there is a way to use Tinder without Facebook! Facebook might not like that, and remember, don’t do this if you already have a Facebook account.
An example of what others have done is to create a Facebook account under a pseudonym (for additional privacy) so you can link it with Tinder. When creating the Facebook account, ensure you stay anonymous by using private and disposable phone numbers. Don’t be THAT GUY that links Facebook and Tinder to his own personal phone number.
- First, go to Mobilesms.io to create an account. It will only take you 2 minutes to do so
- Log in your new account on Mobilesms.io, choose the country and the service. For example: I choose UK and the service is Facebook (I want to open a UK Facebook and later use that UK Facebook to register to for Tinder)
- Click request, then Mobilesms.io will generate a real sim number for you. You will not be charged for requesting the number.
- Use that number to register for your Facebook account
- Put that number on your new Facebook account to request for the verification SMS code
- Go back to your account on Mobilesms.io, log in and you will see the verification SMS code on your dashboard
- Use that code to verify your new Facebook account
- Now, then you can use this new Facebook for your Tinder account. Easy and simple plus the benefit of having privacy
Create a Anonymous Tinder account
Creating a Tinder account using a temporary phone number instead of your actual phone number will allow you to have additional privacy. This will ensure you stay anonymous on Tinder by not having to link your actual phone number with Tinder.
Link the Anonymous Tinder Account with your Anonymous Facebook Account
If you want to enjoy the full potential of what Tinder can provide, we recommend you link it to an Facebook account, whose sole purpose is for using it with dating apps. Using Tinder with Facebook can be relatively safe, if you know how to protect yourself.